Thread: EQ - Pottery

EQ - Pottery

Okay, so I did Pottery on Friday night and here is what I will suggest to others: "Don't do it!"

At the very least, wait till some expansions come out. I had a hard time leveling this up because many of the recipes depend on dropped items. Sucks, but what can you do?

Here is what I did:

1. Make a unfired small container (31) on the pottery wheel and when you make one, hop over to the kiln to make the small clay jar (17). When you reach 17, you are done with the kiln until you want to actually fully craft an item. See note below. *
    2. Unfired Medium Container (37).
    3. Unfired Large Container (?). I forget what this got me to, maybe 43?
    4. I messed up here, see note below. **
    5. Unfired Small Bowl (102). This will result in a lot of failures, but it is the cheapest way to level up after large container's.
    6. Unfired Medium Bowl (122). Not bad. Probably the easiest way to build up at this point.
    7. ? - I don't know what to do next. Everything looks very expensive at this point. There is supposed to be a unfired large bowl, but the sketch for it doesn't exist. Bastards!

* Note: Be ready to destroy everything you craft in the pottery wheel. The reason is, there is no point spending even more coin on firing sheets when you won't gain any skills and throw away coin. The amount you get back for selling items crafted in the kiln is less than what it costs to buy the firing sheets. Trust me, don't do it. Just destroy the items.

** Note: I really screwed up here. I thought I found a way to level up between the unfired large container and unfired medium bowl. I didn't know about the small bowl at this point. Instead, I had the bright idea to craft the Pie Tin sketch. I assumed it was going to cost the same price as the medium bowl and I ended up buying 3 stacks of them without looking. After 20 failures in a row, I thought I would just go buy a bunch more of them and this time I noticed the cost. I was spending over 25p per stack of 20 of these things and I had bought 3 stacks. Selling them back was only going to give me less than 10 platinum. So, obviously I stopped trying to craft these, went and cried for 30 minutes, came back and did some more research. That's when I found the recipe for the unfired small bowl's.

The next question is, Sarcoth, why did you bother doing pottery to begin with? Good question. I wanted to advance to the point where I could make ceramic lining without any failures, pie tin's, and casserole dishes. Just for the record, trying to make a casserole dish (trivial at 199) at 122 skill is a bad idea. I didn't gain a single point in pottery and it took me almost 100 attempts to make two unfired casserole dishes. Making the actual final product was easy. I guess you can call that screwup #2.

So, my first screw up cost me roughly 75p. To make two casserole dishes, I ended up spending over 125p because of the costly sketch; I bought 100 sketches. I was stupid and bought the sketches at the start thinking I would gain some skill ups. I was wrong and there was no point selling them back. Plus, you don't really know you won't gain skill until you go through them all.

I spent about another 50-100p on the rest of the supplies used in leveling up my pottery. Had I known better, I would have skipped pottery all together. Now that that is said, I do need a few items so I can start crafting meaningful items.

------------------------------------------------------

Supplies needed:
    • Sand of Ro - this is dropped off Sand Giants and is used to craft ranged slot items

Do we have a tradeskill forum to post needed drops etc? I am a tradeskiller and save anything involving tradeskills. A forum where people could list what they need for each skill will help me as I level to know what to save.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmy View Post
    Do we have a tradeskill forum to post needed drops etc? I am a tradeskiller and save anything involving tradeskills. A forum where people could list what they need for each skill will help me as I level to know what to save.
    This is the forum. Just create a new thread for your tradeskill(s). I have a thread for tailoring and pottery right now. You can use these as well.