Thread: EQ - Log Parser

EQ - Log Parser

Ahhh, the good old days of numerous chat windows. I want to make use of my second monitor by using a parse logger that allows me to send my chat to a separate monitor. This way, in my EQ window, I can move all chat to one window and minimize it. Use it purely for typing my own chat.

I created a parser like this a few years ago for another game, but I have since lost the code. I really don't want to do it again unless I have to.

Anyhow, I'm going to start looking for a log parser that has the function of posting multiple chat windows. Splitting up chat into different boxes depending on how I want them: /tell, /guild, /group, etc. Maybe put /ooc and /shout in the same box. Allowing different colors for each chat isn't necessary since they all go to different boxes. Although, if you send more than one to the same box, different colors would be nice.

If anyone finds something like this already out there, please post some links for me. I'm going to start looking as well.

Hmmm, this may be what I need if I can open the same file multiple times.

http://www.tailforwindows.org/en/screenshots/

Retrospective - too expensive for what I want
    Tailexpert - doesn't allow more than 2 windows
    Log Parser 2.2 - I understand sql queries, but I'm not sure there is a way to do what I want very easily; 2 hours spent on it

I did find one (forgot name) that looks like it will allow me to open multiple files at the same time and arrange them nicely. I don't know if it will save the arrangement, so that could be an issue if I have to open everything each time I execute the software. The downside is, I can't open the same file more than once. This has given me a new idea. I need one parser that will look at the log file in real time, run a bunch of IF statements and move the line from the log file to a new set of files. Each of the new files only contain certain data depending on the type of filter. Shouts moved to shout file, guild chat moved to guildchat file, etc. Then I can use the software I found to open all the different files.

So, I can either keep looking for software that does what I originally wanted, or I can start looking for a file parser that splits up the main log file.

This is turning out to be a fun experience in file parsing if nothing else.

Tail for Windows - this is the one that appears to be great for reading and organizing multiple windows at the same time. The problem is getting the main file split into multiple other files.

LogMX - Doesn't do what I need.

Log Parser Studio - An addon for Log Parser, but doesn't appear to have what I need.

I finally found a program I could use.

http://www.hootech.com/WinTail/quick_tour.htm

This application allows me to setup filters that in turn, export the filtered lines to different files. I can also have those other files opened and they are updated when anything new comes in. Furthermore, it allows me to reopen the application later and it will save my layout of all the windows. Now I won't need two separate programs.

One con: It costs $50. That's more than what I was hoping to spend.

Two things I feel are missing:
    1) In the main file, I want to set up exclude filters that hides the lines I'm exporting to new files. No point showing them more than once. But, it seems the application hides excluded lines first and then does exporting. The problem is, it then doesn't export what is hidden. DOH! Not a drastic issue, but I won't buy the software for that much money if it doesn't do everything I want.
    2) When setting up filters, it should have a copy command so I don't have to retype every item for new filters if I don't want to.

If anyone else wants to set up something similar, let me know and I'll share my filter file with you. This application allows you to save and load filters. This way, you won't have to go through the pain of setting up everything like I'm having to do.

Since you brought up log parser's here is one that I am trying out,

GameParse
    http://gambosoft.eqresource.com/

Some of it's features include:

Very easy to get started with old log files, or live files
    Ideal for parsing an entire raid, a group or a single player
    View the results of a battle in the interface
    Watch battles live using an overlay that you can see in game
    Send the results to EQ to share with your group or guild
    Export results to a highly detailed HTML file
    Track DPS, spell casting, discs, abilities and tanking
    Analyse melee accuracy, critical rates, defenses, hit sizes, and damage broken down by type
    Use a selection of graphs to view DPS and tanking details
    and many more features!

They also have a second program called GamTextTriggers, an overlay tool which search's for phrases in your log, when found will trigger a graphic or audio response.
    Features include:

Display a specific message based off a trigger, usually an instruction based of an emote during an event
    Timers on screen to help you co-ordinate your time in game, for discs, spells and emotes
    Play a sound file similar to how audio triggers work in game
    Use text to speech to make quick audio triggers, or to speak portions of a line, like raid instructions, so you can focus on the event instead of having to read the latest raid instructions

I listed GameParse in my top post; that looked more like a game parser. I am planning to check all those I listed this weekend. If you end up liking this one the most, please let me know.

What I'm currently looking for right now is a chat parser. Do you know if there is a way to use GameParse for displaying specific chat in a separate window other than in EQ? I hate having so many chat windows and my goal is to have that up on my second monitor. Maybe with the GamTextTriggers? It would be cool if it would copy a line of text to a GuildChat.txt file whenever someone sends a message to guildchat.

It is mainly a DPS parser but it will do searches of the log and let you see things like who looted what in a raid. I haven't tested it very much so once I do i will let you know more of what I found out about it.

I guess if I get motivated next week I can build an xml controlled file parser that should do anything you could want with it. I'll check to see if eclipse has a windows environment that can allow easy window creation/manipulation. If so the rest is pretty straightforward to program.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emeradii For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emeradii View Post
    I guess if I get motivated next week I can build an xml controlled file parser that should do anything you could want with it. I'll check to see if eclipse has a windows environment that can allow easy window creation/manipulation. If so the rest is pretty straightforward to program.
    That would be awesome. I'm using WinTail right now and it does appear to do what I need. BUT, there are issues with it. The main being the silliest thing of all. There is no Word-Wrapping. Thus, I can't have that many windows open at the same time. That kind of kills the whole thing and puts me back to trying to find something I can use.

The good thing about WinTail is, it has a great functionality of reading the main log file and then splitting it up into other files for me. That's actually more useful than I originally planned b/c now I have logs for guildchat, groupchat, tells, and so on.