Thread: Occulus Rift

Occulus Rift

I was just curious if anyone here pre-ordered the new Occulus Rift? I seriously considered it but decided to wait and see what the first adopters had to say. I'm very excited to see VR & AR start to develop.

Anyone else remember sometime around 90-92' going to the mall and seeing a VR booth? You paid like $20 bucks and got 5 minutes of wearing a VR headset & holding a controller. You climbed up into a circular podium with rails and suddenly you were some kind of robot running & shooting. I was only 10-12 years old at the time and had gotten the biggest kick out of it.

I look forward to finally seeing an MMO through the eyes of VR.

no, but i do remember Nintendo's Virtual Boy thingy.

It looks interesting, but I'm not about to drop $600 on it ;p I'll wait until there are stellar reviews and it drops a bit in price.

The Oculus Rift hasn't caught my attention yet. I'm waiting for the HoloLens instead.

I told my wife I was going to order the developers HoloLens a couple months ago and she said...no your not!

LOL Sarc, that may have something to do with the developers kit being something like $3,000. How cool would it be to have something like "The Oasis" from Ready Player One?!? Also if you haven't read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, your missing out on a fun bit of reading.

I want a hololense too! that thing looks awesome.

Yea for Hololens! speaking of VR like. I recently upgraded my computer audio to a 5.1 surround sound. Mainly for watching movies.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that ARK fully supports 5.1. Some dino charging up on you and you can literally year it run up/past etc. It adds a whole new Immersion level. Even when people are using the in game VOIP.

During New Years EVE i was on an official server, ARK had a Ball drop event. There was 60 something players all in same spot talking and people would walk past and literally u hear them fade in/out across the full spectrum of speakers.

If the HoloLens comes out at $600 or less, I'm getting one. That may be the max I can pay though, so I have to hope it doesn't start off more than that. Hell, I paid more than that for my iPhone.

I'm curious as to what the price will be. I think $600ish seems reasonable, but I've no clue what kinda hardware that thing is housing. I wouldn't be surprised it if was near $1k since it's a display + has processing power, etc.

I am far more excited about the HoloLens 2.0 myself.

Ready Player One is more Occulus. The HoloLens is more like the books Daemon and Freedom TM by Daniel Suarez. Also amazing books. The MMO comes to the real world through AR glasses.

I'm on the fence still about this one. One one hand, the whole idea is awesome and it looks cool as hell. On the other hand, I know it will probably give me a headache and bout of motion sickness.