Thread: My Second Book

My Second Book

...comes out next week. Of course, I would be thrilled if any of you purchased a copy, and I would be happy to sign and inscribe one for anyone as well (requires snail mail proficiency level 10). This book has several pieces which were nominated for pushcart prizes, and is a little more free-flowing and less structured than the last. I'll post a link next week where you can find it, though as always, you can find me on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

My last book, on amazon, as an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Water-St...ater+was+stone

Any and all support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Z

Pictures I hope this time. Throw me a bone here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grael For This Useful Post:

The poems are very heartfelt and well writing, sadly I am just not into poems

Quote Originally Posted by Dreconic View Post
    The poems are very heartfelt and well writing, sadly I am just not into poems

I've been teaching writing for a decade now. Every semester I ask my students: why don't you like poetry? Every answer I've ever heard can be boiled down to: 'I don't get it."

I'm guessing then, that's why you're just not into poems. That's ok- most people aren't, and they really have no reason to be- poetry has evolved away from readers into the associative and abstract. Still, you should give my book a shot. Firstly, because my poems aren't doing those kinds of things. They're a series of pretty straight forward narratives. They're easy to access. You still might not like them, and that's ok- but I promise, they're not like most poetry. Actually, that's not even my assessment, that's the assessment of the more "famous" writers who offered to write me blurbs, so I have to give them credit.

Secondly, because its only ten bucks, and really, isn't ten bucks worth supporting a friend's lifelong dreams?

Oooh, very nice.

I think I have to agree with your assessment about why people likely aren't into poetry. At least for me, it all seems too romantic, whether affectionate or platonic -- I know I contradict myself, but I hope I make sense. Poetry seems to frequently be very imaginative and, as you said, abstract. Being more of a logical thinker, I feel as though I have an easier time teaching myself to code. I can, however, appreciate the flow and rhythm of a well-written poem. I do enjoy syllabic patterns.

I'll have to remember to pick up a copy when finances pick up again.

Thanks to anyone who has purchased this already: today it cracked the top ten books of nature-themed poetry on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...rsr_b_3_5_last

Feels pretty damned good.

Grats Zorus. I'll be sure to get a copy. Funny thing about the last book. I never have any issues with Amazon shipping, but your first book was the first time I experienced really bad shipping. The shipping box and book inside were wet. The book dried out okay, but I found it strange since it wasn't even raining around my house that week.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorus View Post
    I've been teaching writing for a decade now. Every semester I ask my students: why don't you like poetry? Every answer I've ever heard can be boiled down to: 'I don't get it."

I'm guessing then, that's why you're just not into poems. That's ok- most people aren't, and they really have no reason to be- poetry has evolved away from readers into the associative and abstract. Still, you should give my book a shot. Firstly, because my poems aren't doing those kinds of things. They're a series of pretty straight forward narratives. They're easy to access. You still might not like them, and that's ok- but I promise, they're not like most poetry. Actually, that's not even my assessment, that's the assessment of the more "famous" writers who offered to write me blurbs, so I have to give them credit.

Secondly, because its only ten bucks, and really, isn't ten bucks worth supporting a friend's lifelong dreams?
    I get most poems, but I am a very logical person, I act with reason and not with emotion. I am very direct in my talking and in my instructions so having something free flowing, not set rules, talking about emotions etc are harder for me to enjoy then a well writing narrative.

Reading this makes me seem like a cold hearted emotionless asshole lol, but I do cry at good movies :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcoth View Post
    Grats Zorus. I'll be sure to get a copy. Funny thing about the last book. I never have any issues with Amazon shipping, but your first book was the first time I experienced really bad shipping. The shipping box and book inside were wet. The book dried out okay, but I found it strange since it wasn't even raining around my house that week.
    I would have called up amazon or UPS/Fed Ex and demanded an exchange...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcoth View Post

I requested that all my books be shipped through a personal rain cloud, so that everyone would know how emo and pretentious poets are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreconic View Post
    I would have called up amazon or UPS/Fed Ex and demanded an exchange...
    Nah, it actually dried up pretty good. A little warping. But, since I only used it to help start the fireplace, it didn't matter.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarcoth For This Useful Post:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who supported me here...and ask for another favor. If you have 5 minutes (it took me just under that), I would be grateful if you posted a review of my books on Amazon. If I get to 50 reviews I get free publicity.

Of course, feel free to buy a copy as well, but its not mandatory for leaving a review.

Thanks!

Z

http://www.amazon.com/These-Things-T...too+have+shape

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Water-St...ater+was+stone

Grats on the 2nd book. just over 500 more and you will pass Asimov! Get to work, slacker!
    Yeah, that was me. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorus View Post
    Feels pretty damned good.
    What? You had it bound in Ranger skin?

They best been legal other wise the Wardens will want a word or two...not so sure about Fish & Game...