Thread: RIP EQ Next

RIP EQ Next

https://www.daybreakgames.com/news/d...uest-next-2016

To Our Daybreak Community,

I’m writing today to let you know that, after much review and consideration, Daybreak is discontinuing development of EverQuest Next.

For the past 20 years EverQuest has been a labor of love. What started as a deep passion of ours, as game creators, grew into a much larger passion shared by you, millions of players and Daybreakers alike. Watching EverQuest’s ability to entertain and bring people together has inspired and humbled us. It’s shaped our culture and has emboldened us to take aggressive risks with our game ideas and products. When we decided to create the next chapter in the EverQuest journey, we didn’t aim low. We set out to make something revolutionary.

For those familiar with the internals of game development, you know that cancellations are a reality we must face from time to time. Inherent to the creative process are dreaming big, pushing hard and being brutally honest with where you land. In the case of EverQuest Next, we accomplished incredible feats that astonished industry insiders. Unfortunately, as we put together the pieces, we found that it wasn’t fun. We know you have high standards when it comes to Norrath and we do too. In final review, we had to face the fact that EverQuest Next would not meet the expectations we – and all of you – have for the worlds of Norrath.

The future of the EverQuest franchise as a whole is important to us here at Daybreak. EverQuest in all its forms is near and dear to our hearts. EverQuest and EverQuest II are going strong. Rest assured that our passion to grow the world of EverQuest remains undiminished.

Yours truly,

Russell Shanks
    President, Daybreak Games

ah well.... maybe one day or someone will buy out the franchise

perhaps Pantheon will find more investors as a result too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranis For This Useful Post:

Not surprised, we hadn't see anything new on it in a year or so.

That's sad news b/c I was looking for some good competition for Pantheon. On the bright side, this makes Pantheon a easy choice for our next big game. I was planning to try them both, but now I can focus on one.

Glanced over the Pantheon twitch video. The game seems more like an EQ remastered than it's own game.

If SOE/Daybreak wont modernize the client, looks like Visionary Realms just did.

The game looks really good, and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    Glanced over the Pantheon twitch video. The game seems more like an EQ remastered than it's own game.

If SOE/Daybreak wont modernize the client, looks like Visionary Realms just did.

The game looks really good, and fun.
    Yes! That was the impression I got too. And, since many of us keep saying we would fully return to EQ if they remastered it. Well, Pantheon is hopefully it.

Yea I got the impression that it was EQ like also. Vanguard was going to be the new EQ before they made all of the changes in order to compete with WOW. Even then it could have been a great game had it actually been ready to launch.

I'm not surprised. I didn't like the way it was going story-lined, but I loved the idea of a living breathing world. There are a couple games out there that may realize that wish. EQ Next alas was destroyed before ever being born. I expect Landmark to follow withing the year.