Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everquest?!

Quote Originally Posted by Osacian View Post
    I will look into this when I get home. There is a 95% chance I will be getting this tonight. I never had my own account, I always played on my cousins account when I went over to his place. I have 2 preferences in classes...not a tank and not a healer. Any DPS class will suffice whether it is melee or ranged. I will look at the other threads now.
    You mean, you aren't going to play a Barbarian Rogue?

I don't think it'll be any easier in terms of difficulty. But it will be easier to find groups to play with. EQ is very old and has a lot of content. Even if you started fresh on an existing, free, server. there are so many starting zones, and so few lowbies, the game would get very boring till you got higher up in level. The free servers also have EXP boosts on zones, mercenaries, and other things to help new players get caught up to the rest of the server. But you lose the experience of all the previous expansions by leveraging them.

that's the appeal of the custom, progression servers. It's a very different rule set, and community of players. That's how i justify the cost. I think your argument holds merit if the EQ was a new game, but the target audience for these progression servers isn't new players, but old ones looking for nostalgia.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zorus View Post
    That may or may not be true, but for certain I forsee people not wanting to play because of the money. In fact, I hesitate to pay 10-15 dollars a month for a 10+ year old game myself...especially when its free on another server. Levelling in EQ is hard no matter what you do. Do I really want to pay to make it a little bit easier?
    Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

I'm a big fan of starting "fresh", especially with a big group of people. It's almost like it's a "new" game.. just with crappy graphics, and I have a slight advantage that I've played it before... yearssss ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    I don't think it'll be any easier in terms of difficulty. But it will be easier to find groups to play with. EQ is very old and has a lot of content. Even if you started fresh on an existing, free, server. there are so many starting zones, and so few lowbies, the game would get very boring till you got higher up in level. The free servers also have EXP boosts on zones, mercenaries, and other things to help new players get caught up to the rest of the server. But you lose the experience of all the previous expansions by leveraging them.

that's the appeal of the custom, progression servers. It's a very different rule set, and community of players. That's how i justify the cost. I think your argument holds merit if the EQ was a new game, but the target audience for these progression servers isn't new players, but old ones looking for nostalgia.
    I think you're right: its paying for nostalgia. Which, in essence, I'm not against...I just don't think I'm nostalgic enough to pay that much for it. I do want to game with my friends though, so if that's what it takes I'll probably still do it. Just seems a bit much: 10-15 dollars a month to, in a way, make your experience a lot more tedious. I know exploration and playing is fun, but most of you have already explored and played quite a bit, and you can't love grinding that much. Or maybe you can, who am I to say. I also wonder, with Pantheon coming out in just over a year, if we'll even get to raiding in EQ before I want to hop games (which I normally do not do). And raiding is my jam, so to speak. At any rate, I'll play on a free server until I decide if I can justify forking over the moolah.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorus View Post
    I think you're right: its paying for nostalgia. Which, in essence, I'm not against...I just don't think I'm nostalgic enough to pay that much for it. I do want to game with my friends though, so if that's what it takes I'll probably still do it. Just seems a bit much: 10-15 dollars a month to, in a way, make your experience a lot more tedious. I know exploration and playing is fun, but most of you have already explored and played quite a bit, and you can't love grinding that much. Or maybe you can, who am I to say. I also wonder, with Pantheon coming out in just over a year, if we'll even get to raiding in EQ before I want to hop games (which I normally do not do). And raiding is my jam, so to speak. At any rate, I'll play on a free server until I decide if I can justify forking over the moolah.
    That is definitely a downside with our potential next big game coming out in a year. I don't like jumping ship, but perhaps it won't be too big of a deal since I've played this for years in the past.

I honestly can't remember the timelines of how long it'll take to hit 50, and then potentially start nagafen / lady vox.. 3ish months, 2 for the hardcore people?

Ranis, I couldn't have said it any better.

Zorus, for those that don't know, I'm only trying out EQ until Pantheon or EQN come out. Or, some other game that really interests me; but right now, there isn't one. I have no problems jumping games when I view this game as something to do with my friends until our next game is ready. So, if anyone is really planning to stay with EQ when Pantheon/EQN comes out, I'm sorry.

Zrikz, yeah, 2-3 months sounds right. Course, in 12 weeks, we'll have the first expansion released. We'll be ready to start raiding then.

I'm a little concerned on the development of EQN / Landmark. I log in to landmark to check for updates every week or so. I haven't gotten a single update since around October.

Perhaps they're focusing most on EQ/EQII? I duno. I haven't read the forums much recently, but being able to log in and have no changes in over 2 months is a little disappointing for a game that's supposed to be in development. That or my client is bugged and I'm able to log in without updating

//edit just went to reddit/landmark and it looks like there haven't been any updates in months.

I may have to come with you guys i loved playing my enchanter in that EQ. might want to check out http://www.eqinterface.com/ to help you deal with the outdated interface.

i just looked and it appears i have 19 of the expansion packs...... wow i forgot how much time i spent in Norrath.
    Last edited by Chaos; 2015/12/08 at 04:28 PM.

Don't forget your maps .......

Oh hell... this is so tempting. The mostly sane bard may have to sing again... But should it be Bin or Rhis... hmm...

Binuvyen / Rhisilerix

I will play. I played for quite a while on a progression server about 4 or so years ago and had a lot of fun. I don't know how many of you have tried it, but it's very similar to the original release. Leveling is slow, there's camping, a lot of the old frustrations from those days are still there (contention over spawns, killstealing, etc., especially on a new progression server). But the population eventually thins out. Given that EQ is even older now, there may be less interest.

I'm not sure how much time I will have, always depends on work, definitely not too much time this week/weekend.

I will play an enchanter which was always my favorite class.

We've been playing since the server opened less than a week ago. We currently have over 20 members. It would be awesome if you can join us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcoth View Post
    We've been playing since the server opened less than a week ago. We currently have over 20 members. It would be awesome if you can join us.
    I'll create my character tonight. I'm bringing a friend of mine with me (hopefully she can join). She never played with us years ago, but has a long history with the game like we do, and she's a real sweetie.

She says she'll play a cleric.

We welcome all friends and family of guild members; returning or current.

We'll be happy to have her join us.

On a similar note, we are also open to new recruits.

Well... EQN was bought out by Columbia and has been down sized.

ok I created a druid half elf on the new server name ianuvdar ofcourse

what is the server name?

Phinigel

If you play on a old server you will be 80 in 3 days. Almsot makes it pointless.
    Basically the old server are set for high end content.. I have level 105 toons on xegony and me and azerok have 4 toons level 55 on lockjaw.
    If you want to play again play on phinny. If you go to a free to play server in 2 weeks youll quit.

All my toons were lost...