Thread: No Man's Sky - August 9

No Man's Sky - August 9

I only found out about this game 3 hours ago and I'm already salivating for it's release. Steam says it's a single player game but from what I have read, all players will have access to the same system. Once you discover a planet, it will be updated to everyone's game as you being the person that discovered it. It appears to be mostly a space exploration game, but you can go down to the planets and discover everything on that planet as well. You can even make friends with alien races. You can trade with them too.

The game is going to be an exploration, survival, combat, and trading game. The more you discover, the more credits you earn. You can then use that to upgrade your ship and equipment so you can do more exploration. I'm normally not a fan of single player games, but this one intrigues me. I'm going to get it on PC and spend most of my summer putting my name around the universe.

Last edited by Sarcoth; 2016/05/02 at 08:40 AM.

Looks like a pretty neat game, hadn't heard of it until now. Think I'll have to check it out, I'm a fan of space exploration type games

This looks like an advanced combination between Trade Wars and Spore. I don't know if this game will keep me interested after a month, but I also like space exploration games. Hell, exploration in all games is very interesting to me. This should be one of those games where I have no problems returning to after few days to see if there is anything new I can discover.

The rumor I heard from a friend that told me about the game was that if every person on earth played the game, it would take 11 years of game time to discover every single thing in the game. My only worry is that people with bots are going to ruin the game by finding a way to have their bots wander and discover things for them.

A good 10 Things You Need to Know video

The universe they have setup is really large.
    They do mention though that when people discover animals for the first time they get to name them. So be prepared for a lot of dickbeak platapus and etc....

Hey, don't start stealing my names!

It does look interesting but not sure for how long.

When I first saw this one, it reminded me of Spore as well. That game had so much potential. I preordered No Man's Sky for PS4 a few weeks ago and look forward to the release. The game is supposed to be multiplayer but you start out so far apart, it's unlikely you'll run across another player. Since the game is percedually generated, I read a pretty interesting tid bit last Fall that the devs developed and launched space probes to explore other planets for game testing purposes.

Also, this would of made for a very cool VR game.

Also, when we name a planet or beast, we should claim it for Sacred Haven.

Haven-xxxxx
    SH-xxxxx

or something along those lines

I like it. I'll use the SH-xxxxx model.

Although, you'll have to show me where it says it's going to be multiplayer b/c that isn't what I found. Everything I see says it is single player, but we are all accessing the same server. We just can't see each other or interact with other people. See the video I posted above that states 10 things to know about NMS.

As I understand it, the game is multiplayer but the chances of running across other players is unlikely in the extreme. In the video it mentioned that you could it would take a long time if you wanted to go to a planet that your friend is on. Even then, you land on a planet the size of Earth and go okay, I'm on this mountain, where are you?

Hmmmm. Looks like you are right. From the way is sounds is that we could find each other, but that it would take a lot of effort to do so. And, then, we wouldn't be able to interact, just be near one another. Better to not do that if we want to make as many discoveries as we can.

The thing throwing me off is that places selling the game have it listed as a single player game.

I was wondering if they'll release there data to a server for each location found in the game. Something so we can look up stuff when we aren't playing. That would be cool.

I was only slightly interested in this game but after watching that 10 things video I think I will give this game a go!

As much as I'd like to see it out now, I'd rather wait and see a more polished version released. I'm not a fan of seeing games released with massive updates 2 weeks into the game release.

I agree that I would much rather see a finished game, but I'm still disappointed. The good news is that I'm going to GENCON from Aug. 3 to 7. I'll be home in time and ready to play when the game goes live!

Delayed until Aug 12 for PC. Still Aug 9 for PS / Xbox =/

There is no official post on that yet. I'm hoping there is just a misunderstanding with the release.

Originally, the plan was US on August 9, UK on August 10, and everywhere on August 12.

Xbox? Where did you get that?