Thread: Discovery Names

Discovery Names

For those that don't know, when you make a discovery in NMS, you get to name it. That means planets, animals, and I'm not sure what else if there are other things to name. Maybe plants? At the same time, your Steam or Playstation name appears under that as the person who discovered it.

Helliox and I have talked about this a few times. Up to you if you want to do this, but I like advertising the guild as much as possible. So, when I make a discovery in NMS, I want to have something that first shows our guild abbreviation, and then whatever I want to name the planet, creature, or whatever we get to name. I was going to throw in my name, but that is already going to be on there since my name on Steam is Sarcoth. No point doubling up on my name then.

So, what do you think is the better way to name something?

I'm thinking: SH.

If your name on Steam or Playstation doesn't match your guild name, you could use something like: SH..

Helliox thought of another good idea too for naming things. Like, for all planets, name them after a group of something.

Extra Thought: I personally like the idea of putting a period between each item for naming planets. It makes me think of domain names or such since I do a lot of website building. Although, this is in reverse b/c if it was a domain name, it would be name.yourname.SH. But, if they list these in alphabetically order somewhere, and I'm sure someone will do it, I would like to see all the SH discoveries together. If you don't like a period, feel free to put a dash or whatever you prefer. They should still get sorted near one another. Hell, there is actually the chance no punctuation will even be allowed in the names. I doubt it though.

Okay, let me know what you think.

I am probably not going to play NMS but you and I and other guild members would know that SH stands for Sacred Haven but how would anyone else know this. SH could mean many things to many people. If advertising is your goal then there would need to be a way to tie the letters SH to the guild within the game.

I've thought about that myself, but since we don't know much about the game yet, I have no idea how much space they are giving us to name things. If they are giving us at least 21 characters, my plan is to use the entire guild name rather than the abbreviation. 12+1+8. The first 12 characters are for the guild name (Sacred Haven), which includes a space. From the video's I have seen with Sean Murray, he named a planet Sea Murray, so I know spaces are allowed. Then I'll add a period to separate the guild name and the name (+1). Then I would like to have at least 8 characters for naming a planet. I think every name I would like to use is at least 8 characters. More than that is just icing on the cake.

My first set of names are just going to be names of guild members. I have about 800+ of those to go through so that will keep me busy for awhile.

Since Delvar, Helliox, and Zrikz are all planning to play the game, I'll let them use their own names if they like.

We each start off on our own home planet, so I will be naming that one "Sacred Haven.Sarcoth" if possible.

"Sacred Haven-Sarcoth" Or would a dash look better?
    "Sacred Haven - Sarcoth" It will be nice if they give us a good number of characters for naming, but I'm still not sure what to expect there.