Thread: WTB New PC

WTB New PC

I'm at a point in my life where I am getting Arthritis in my fingers due to my phone still using a rotary dial, I thought maybe someone here could give me some advice on some of the newer technologies available.

A recent examination has concluded that the state of health is terminal and my computer may have months, perhaps only weeks to live. And though it may sound cruel, even uncaring, giving so little time to mourn, I have already begun looking for a newer, younger replacement. Was wondering what thoughts, suggestions anyone here might have.

Currently considering:
    1) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro ( don't need onboard WiFi or Sound)
    2) CPU: i7-6700K quad core (not sure the increased cost of a 6-core justifies the cost, thoughts?)
    3) Memory: Corsair 16GB (2x8) 3000 (any reason to go to 32GB?)
    4) Water Cooler: Corsair H110i (thinking of going with a water cooler this time since problems in the past seem to most always have been heat related. thoughts?)
    5) Case: Not sure, currently considering Corsair 760T for ventilation, suggestions?
    6) Power Supply: Corsair RM 850i
    7) Main HDD: Samsung (500GB) 850 EVO SATA 6Gps SSD
    8) Secondary HDD: Seagate (1TB) SATA3
    9) Blu-ray: Generic Blu-ray (Any suggestions on Blu-ray player since MS10 no longer supports it?)
    10) Video: EVGA GTX-1070 (Not sure the large increased cost of the 1080 justifies the small gain in the improvement, thoughts? suggestions? Looks like a LOT of different 1070 options, any suggestions? )
    11) OS: MS 10

Anything else I should consider? Any other thoughts or suggestions?
    I mean other than signing up for a class to improve my gaming skills.

Very few games get benefit from dual core much less quad core. But I love my quad core for more than just gaming.

Make sure to use https://pcpartpicker.com/ It will give you best cost on parts as well as help match up the right ones.

Looks like a solid build, I'm a fan of the corsair water coolers, I have one on my server, been going strong for 3 years now, keeps it nice and cool.

Thanks Maus and Zrikz. Doing some comparisons now on pcpartpicker. Trying to decide now if it might be better to downgrade the cpu and then upgrade the gpu to the 1080. Anyone running a 1070 or 1080 have any thoughts?

Night also remember.... Black Friday is coming up. Lots of online deals and such then and cyber monday.

Thanks Maus and actually, that is exactly my intention. I'm hoping to use the first 3 weeks in November to research some options and then spend Thanksgiving day to see who has the best deals on those options. Though the list I posted represents my current primary choices I hope to have a few 2nd and even 3rd choices in case I see better offers on some components.

I have also seen where some new cases have sound dampening built in also.

If you can wait I would, in early next year Intel will release their 7k series chips and AMD will have their Zens out, will drop prices on 6k chips drastically. Other then that everything looks good

as far as CPU's go with thei5 6600k and upgrade to the 1080. You'll like it better than i7 6700k and 1070, unless you do a lot of CPU-intensive number crunching programs.

Thanks Dreconic, the suggestion using an i5 6600k with a 1080 actually makes sense and seriously considering going that route now. Should add about $100.00 to the overall cost.

Think I am done waiting though, always something newer and better just a few months away. Waited for intel skylake, then Nvidia Pascal, then AMD Polaris and now Black Friday.